Now that summer is underway, it seems like everyone is going on vacation. You may even have upcoming travel plans that take you away from Central New Jersey. Preparing to travel can be overwhelming. Packing your suitcase, arranging your home and planning your trip can take endless time if you let it. Use the following checklist to streamline your home travel preparation process.
Make Your Home Look Occupied
Avoid vandalism and theft by making it look like you never left.
- Set certain interior and exterior lights on a timer.
- Park cars in your garage and driveway.
- Pause newspaper delivery and subscription services.
- Ensure your yard looks maintained.
- If you have a neighbor you know and trust, ask them to water plants, put out trash and take in mail.
While you’re preparing your home, don’t forget about your four-legged friends.
- If you’re not taking your pet with you, set up a pet sitter or boarder.
- A pet sitter can also make your home seem active while you’re away.
Clean Your Home
The best feeling after a long trip is being surrounded by an uncluttered and clean home.
- Put away dishes and clean your sink/disposal.
- Sweep floors and vacuum carpets.
- Throw away perishable food and wipe down surfaces with food residue. This will not only help your home shine but also keep bugs and critters away while you’re on vacation.
Appliances & Water Heater
These tips can help you save a bit of utility money while you’re not using your electricity or gas.
- Unplug appliances like your coffee maker and toaster. Even when not in use, they use small amounts of electricity.
- Turn down your water heater temperature or set it on the mode that is appropriate for an extended period of low use.
Detectors and Security System
Take a few extra protective steps while you’re away to give you further peace of mind.
- Test your smoke and CO2 detectors before you leave.
- Tell your security system company that you’ll be out of town.
- If possible, choose detectors that alert your phone of any activity. That way you can take the correct post-damage steps.
There are many small maintenance steps that can be helpful to take before you leave for vacation. Here are a few of the important ones.
- Run your sprinkler system to ensure it’s functioning properly.
- Make sure that your windows and doors can shut securely.
- Quickly look around your home for any leaks or exterior damage.
- No need to blast the ac or heat while you’re gone. Set your thermostat to a temperature that protects your home without driving up your utility bill.
ServiceMaster Cleaning & Restoration Services in Central New Jersey is your local damage restoration experts. If you arrive home after a trip to water or fire damage, contact us at 866-856-4007. Our expert technicians are available 24/7 for emergency restoration services in three New Jersey Counties: Middlesex, Hunterdon and Mercer. Our team has the experience and resources needed to exceed your expectations.
Photo by: istockphoto.com/busra İspir